The first night of “Rototom Sunsplash 2018 – 25 years walking together” was explosive. The day one of the biggest European Reggae Festival started last evening with high-level performances. On the main stage there were Julian Marley from Jamaica, Cocoa Team ft Koffee from Jamaica and Ben Harper from Usa. Julian Marley & the Uprising gave us a great show as usual. “Juju” conquered the spectators reinterpreting some Bob Marley’s hits like One Love and Exodus. The brand new album of Julian Marley will be out very soon. Then there was the turn of Cocoa Tea that smashed up the stage. His energy was incredible for the whole performance and his special guest Koffee was the real revelation for the Rototom’s crowd. Koffee is only 18 years old, but her talent and intelligence is impressive. She was defining herself blessed to have the opportunity to share the stage with a veteran name of the Jamaican music as her mentor Cocoa Tea. Last star on the main stage was Ben Harper. Ben leaded the massive during the show with his historical band the Innocent Criminals and the sound of his own guitar. After it everyone moved in the dancehall area to enjoy Spice’s performance and the New Level Bcn Crew, sound system from Spain. Spice confirmed yesterday in Benicasim her title of “Reina of Dancehall” and we must give a big up to her official dancer Rebel as well. Tonight we’re attending legendary names on the main stage: Groundation (Usa), Sly & Robbie, Yellow Man, Johnny Osbourne, Bitty McLean (Jamaica/Uk) and “dulcis in fundo” Jimmy Cliff (Jamaica).
Article Eugenia Conti
Photo Gallery Noctis
#25yearswalingtogether is the slogan created by Rototom Sunsplash to celebrate his 25 Edition. A fourth of century is already passed but not the memory of the places where everything was started : in Pordenone and Osoppo, Italy. Actually Rototom Sunsplash is organized every summer in Benicassim, Spain . In these 25 years a lot of people was reunited in the mighty name of the stars of reggae and their philosophy. More than 3.2 million people reached Rototom Sunsplash along the different editions, coming from all the Continents of the World. Today this Festival is considered the biggest one in Europe and one of the most important in the World. On the stage, along the different years, more than 2,300 artists alternated. This summer it will be exactly from 16th to the 22nd of August. ’25 years walking together ‘ means prestigious artists of the old and the new generation will be there performing in unity.
Check The entire line up 2018 on the official website : https://rototomsunsplash.com/it/line-up/
Julian Marley and the Uprising, Tarrus Riley, Jimmy Cliff, Spice, Cocoa Tea ft Koffee, The Mighty Diamonds, David Rodigan, Spice, Konshens are only some of the popular singers and bands will perform on the main stage or in the Dancehall area. But remember there are more than two stages. There are 5 options : Main Stage, Dancehall, Lion Stage, Dub Academy and Carribean Tempo. Plus Rototom Sunsplash is not only music. It’s even “Foro Social”, culture, experiences, great food, camping, African Village, Beach, workshops for dancehall dancers, social projects, press conferences, stands and many many more. That’s why we will delve into a different topic about Rototom #25yearswalkingtogether every week before it starts. We guess this edition must be rich of unforgettable vibes.
There are some news for the Welcome to Jamrock Reggae Cruisers ! The Third Round of Artists for the special 5th Year Anniversary was just announced. In the line up will perform some historical artists as Tarrus Riley, Bounty Killer, Skatalites, Ken Boothe, Horace Andy and Leroy Sibbles. The period of this edition is from Dec 1 to 6 to Jamaica on the Independence Of The Seas. More artists and activity announcements will come soon. If you didn’t check the first and the second round of artists you could do it now.
We’ll find on board all the Bob Marley’s legacy : Ziggy, Stephen, Julian, Ky Mani, Damian. Awesome combination. Other names will be Jah Cure, Chronixx, Agent Sasco and Shenseea.
The first announcements of the line up 2018 were about popular artists as the young talents Jesse Royal, Jah9, Kabaka Pyramid, the dancehall stars Aidonia, Konshens, Elephant Man plus Queen Ifrica and Third World.
To book your cabin just contact at:
http://www.welcometojamrockreggaecruise.com or call the number 215.663.8800
The 31st of December 2017 Gege Vibes Magazine has celebrated his second anniversary ending a very intense year full of worldwide experiences. Gege Vibes moved from Italy to Uk, touring in Netherlands and in Jamaica. We thought to realize a video recap of 2017 to summarize all the emotions. Under the link is possible to read the video’s descriptions.
1) Luciano Messenjah Greeting. We met Luciano after his great show in Utrecht (Nl) where he performed with Freddie McGregor. Our interview together was the most spiritual of the year and I could feel the positive energy inside him. He taughts me the importance to feel the rasta vibes in the heart.
2) Swele Greeting. Swele is a new talent from Jamaica. He’s only 20 years old. His history and his voice passionated Gege Vibes Team that decided to promote him in Europe waiting for his tour 2018.
3) Italee Greeting. I had a special interview with this strong jamaican lioness during the last edition of Casalabate Music Festival in Salento (Italy). Every year the last performance of this festival is the selection of David Rodigan. The Queen gave thanks to Gege Vibes Magazine to carry the flag of reggae in the medias area.
4) Sean Paul & Chi Ching Ching Greeting. In 2017 we followed a lot of Sean Paul & Chi Ching Ching’s shows in Uk, Italy and Jamaica. We selected some shootings of their live on the prestigious stage of Reggae Sumfest – Montego Bay (Jamaica) and in Gallipoli (Italy) where Gege Vibes interviewed the multiplatinum singer and his artist.
5) Julian Marley Greeting. One of the son of reggae Legend Bob Marley. He announced his new album coming soon. We are waiting for his new tour to set the shooting of the video interview together.
6) Spice Greeting. We interviewed Spice in Salento (Italy). We talked about the role of the woman in the dancehall and about the explicit sexual lyrics in her songs. Definitely, the female dancehall boss has the lady side, but also the gangsta side.
7) A little immersion in our cultural trip in Jamaica of this summer with Richie Stephens and the Ska Nation Band following “Kingston-Salento International Tour”. We selected the performances of Richie Stephens, Ska Nation Band and Sud Sound System in the museum “Jamaican Institute” and a frame of Richie Stephens & the Ska Nation Band’s show in Reggae Sumfest Jamaica.
8) Mr. Vegas Greeting. The “blessed” jamaican artist donated his greeting before his show in Salento for “I am Black and White – Christmas Concert” promoted by Adriatic Sound.
9) Sean Diedrick aka “Young Pow” Greeting. “2018 is all Gege”, said the brilliant producer that is popular as Damian Marley’s keyboarder too. In 2018 will be surprises because it’s the year to build big stuffs together and to spread the vibes of all the nice Young Pow’s productions through our channels.
10) Courtney Bam Diedrick Greeting. Bam Drumz is the historical Jr Gong’s drummer. He represents for our column 2018 “Drums & Rhythm” . We will go deeply in the magic world of the percussions interviewing the best drummers of the worldwide scene. Stay tuned !
11) Damian Marley Greeting. We had the pleasure to see once again a performance of Jr Gong last june in Gallipoli (Italy). So we interviewed Damian one month before the release of his last album “Stony Hill”. Some months later, in November to be exactly, ‘Gong Zilla’ won the Mobo Award for the Best Reggae Act. Naturally, the video ends with the special greeting of the best Bob’s legacy.
Thanks to the artists, producers, musicians, dancers, editors, video-makers, photographers and all the awesome people that supported it. This is the loop. Blessings and prosperity be yours through the new year.